Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Crazy Week

I started a post earlier today, but I haven't had time to finish it. Here is just a quick update on details of my life.

We leave for Florida on Friday. I met with my oncologist last Friday. With a long flight, she worries about the potential for lymphedema, a swelling from excess fluid buildup, developing in my left arm. When I had my surgery, the doctor removed four lymph nodes to biopsy. We rejoiced when they came back clear of cancer. This was a good thing. However, the lymph nodes are important to filter out fluids in our body. When they are removed, fluids could back up, causing swelling in the tissue. Even though I had only four lymph nodes removed and am not considered high risk for lymphedema, the added pressure in an airplane could affect my arm. My doctor is recommending I use a compression sleeve for the flight. This wasn't even on my radar, and I might not have time to get one. I called the medical place recommended by my doctor, and the receptionist thought there was a good chance they might have my size in stock. Nonetheless, if I don't get one for this trip, I'll have one for future trips. My good friend Diane, also a breast cancer survivor,  is letting me borrow one of hers in case my trip tomorrow isn't successful.

I went for a followup visit with  my naturopath today. We added more supplements to the mix to continue to build up my immunity and strengthen my heart. Because of everything that was thrown at me this year, we are working hard at fighting back with as many weapons as possible. On Thursday I have to go into the hospital for another Echo on my heart. Dr. Kohn wanted that done before my next Herceptin. The heart center called today and could fit me in on Thursday morning. It'll be nice to have one less thing to do when I get back, but it is making my current week jammed full of craziness. With my trip to Bellevue tomorrow for the compression fitting, I will have three medical appointments this week. I thought these appointments would slow down by now!

In between, we are trying to figure out what to pack, what to pack everything in and all the other details of our trip. Plus, the kids are working hard at finishing up school assignments. Every time I turn around, I have at least one kid wondering if I can help them with something. I know this trip is exactly what we all need, but it's super busy from this moment until we are sitting on that plane. Then I'll open up my book and relax. That's when the fun will begin. Until then, full steam ahead!

No comments: