Sunday, December 6, 2015

Ordinary Life through Pictures

 For fun, I thought I'd take snapshots of my day.
 On this Saturday in December, my day started with an early morning walk with my faithful companion.
 On my return, I noticed the blooming flower on this plant which resides in my entryway. Years ago, when my mom died, friends gave me this in her honor. The plant has survived several moves and infrequent watering, yet each year it blooms. It is a special reminder of my mom as well as my dear friends.
 My breakfast usually consists of this granola, almond milk, blueberries and either Greek yogurt or Kefir.  My almost empty jar required a new batch of granola, so I threw together a bunch of oatmeal, nuts, pumpkin seeds to slowly bake while I ate breakfast.

 Quiet reading of my bible with beautiful Christmas decor in the background filled up the rest of my morning.




 Time for chores because there are always dishes to be loaded and unloaded.

 The boys and Walt hung Christmas lights. 
 Saturday vacuuming
 At 3, we were at our church. We host a huge Christmas party for hundreds of families, mostly young women who choose to give life to an unplanned baby. Step By Step is an organization that walks with these moms, not only during the pregnancy but for years later. These pictures are of the volunteers who serve these families either as hosts, waiters, food service, activity coordinators, parking attendants or countless other jobs.


Evening hosts receiving instructions

Fueling up on pizza before the guests arrive
 It's a huge event, with our whole church participating, as well as several other partnering church.
Walt and I are in charge of coat check. All these chairs, and another room just like it, will house the coats, hats, and strollers of these families. The families also are able to choose a toy for each of their kids from hundreds of donated toys. We hold these gifts in bags for them to discreetly take home. 

Clean Up
Ben vacuuming the stairs
Moving back tables

 



Afterwards, everyone pitches in to clean, move back furniture and restore the church for services tomorrow. 

When we got home, I popped some popcorn and watched a Hallmark Christmas movie. Now it's time for bed. These day are full of amazingly normal things.

No comments: