Thursday, October 24, 2013

Foggy Inspiration

It's been so foggy lately that on our way to English co-op this morning, I found myself hoping that all the cars on the road had their lights on since I could not make out vehicle bodies, only the headlights. I think rain would have been easier to see through.

By the time I went for my walk this afternoon, the fog had burned off a bit, leaving behind a misty image, as if someone smudged out the edges of the trees and hills with an eraser. 

With my focus on what was near, it was fun to pick out interesting shapes, colors and objects as I walked around the neighborhood.

I saw this leaf....
 And this flower...
How easily it would have been to overlook these. With the fog, my eyes stayed open for the unexpected nearby. In my busyness, I often neglect the simple things, the unrushed moments because my eyes are focused on what I can do or need to do or hope never to do again...

Tomorrow is my blood draw and mammogram. I know people have been praying for me because for the most part, I've felt an amazing peace about it all week. I've prayed that I not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present my requests to God (Phil. 4:6). This afternoon, I started to let a squiggle of worry wind its way into my thoughts. On my walk, God used the yellow leaf and bright white daisy to remind me to stay in the moment, to appreciate all He has done and will do and is able to do. Not my pace, but God's pace. Listening to praise songs, being filled with His  presence, taking one step at a time. This is how I paced this journey from the beginning, and as I've felt better, I find myself getting a bit ahead of where God wants me to be sometimes. On the eve of an important screening, I know no better place than to be exactly where God wants me to be, thinking of Him and not the test, not the potential of what might show up in my blood or on my mammogram, but on God who is bigger than anything I will face.... Knowing, yes knowing, that God has everything under control.

The fog is supposed to stick around through the weekend. It will be just the reminder I need to keep my eyes focused on what is right before me, not looking out further than God would want my eyes to go.

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

No comments: