Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Book Musings

This fall I sensed a need to slow down, to dodge the bullets of Facebook political battlefields, to pause in between activities to appreciate the moment, to consider the person over my schedule. My reading time also reflected the need for a simpler time. On one of  my visits to the library, I noticed a Mitford novel I hadn't read yet.


This is Jan Karon's 10th book in her Mitford series. If you haven't heard of her, you really need to start here

Then if you like this one, you have at least nine more books in the series to savor.

During the years of parenting babies, I enjoyed living vicariously in this fictional North Carolina town, following the surprisingly entertaining adventures of Father Timothy Kavanaugh, his couch-size dog who only obeys scripture commands, a throw away boy and a pretty next door neighbor. This gentle series offers sage wisdom, a charming small town setting complete with a map  on the inside covers of the book, neighbors who take care of one another, and moments that foster a smile and sometimes outright laughter.

If you, like me, devoured each book as they came out but have ventured on to other books and series, let me invite you back to the rich cast of characters inside this newer offering. It was fun to catch up again on the lives of the retired Father Tim and his now wife, their adopted son who is wrestling with grown up decisions, and the rest of the cast of characters who  make Mitford feel like home. Because of my absence, I found myself trying to remember who was who, and stumbled on this beautiful collection of treasured moments from the series.



I'm a huge library fan, but I have some of these books in my collection. I also lend out books from time to time, so I'm missing a few of the ones I've collected. That's okay, though. In my eyes, books aren't meant to be stored but shared.

And when I love a book, I enjoy letting people know about it. This is how I am living in the present today.

No comments: