Monday, January 7, 2013

First Day Back

It's about 1:30 right now and I'm at home! So what, you are probably asking right now. Well, for seven weeks at this time, I would be entering the waiting room at the Radiation Oncology department instead of being at home. Even though it's been a few weeks since my last appointment, this is the first day back to our normal school schedule. For seven weeks on Monday, I'd drop the boys off at home after their classes with instructions on making sure they find something to eat as well as finish up any school subjects left to do. I'd dart out in my car to head to the hospital.

Today after finishing the co-op classes, we dropped off some books at the library before coming home. The boys decided on mac and cheese for lunch, which I offered to make (even though Ben's probably the most experienced in-house cook of mac and cheese.) I made sure they also had some carrots and cut up a pear for their lunch. I washed and chopped a handful of kale to add to a leftover mushroom and kale lasagna roll and popped it into the microwave for me. My typical Monday lunch used  to consist of a handful of nuts and some dried fruit or an apple as I drove.

Because Becca only has one class on Mondays, she went home with our friend Krista to do school at her house with her girls. This arrangement started when I began radiation. When Krista asked me if Becca was coming to her house today, I told her Becca would love that if she was up for it. It seems to work well for both Becca and her girls. For Becca, it makes her Mondays more fun and she usually gets a lot of school work done at their house, too.

So, now, it's just the boys and I. Nathan and I will have time to figure out an algebra problem that doesn't make sense to either of us, and I'll have time to work with Ben on his school as well. We were able to accomplish a lot while I was going through my treatments, but I've also seen where things were slipping through the cracks. It'll be nice to patch up those areas as we get back into routines. I'll still have doctor's appointments to navigate, but it won't be every day. It's nice to be home!

No comments: