Thursday, July 12, 2012

Thursday

Today I went back in for my weekly Hercepton infusion. When I first saw my chemo schedule, I was discouraged at how many times I'd be going back to the hospital for shots and infusions. Today, I am thankful for the times I get to go back to check in with the nurses and my doctor. Yesterday, maybe because of the heat or some food aversion trigger, I got really sick. (This was less than an hour after I was just telling my friend Krista that I think I was turning a corner and feeling much better. Things change so quickly.)

Last night, I tried to drink as much as I could tolerate because of the vomiting, and this morning I seemed to be doing okay. I told Walt that I could drive myself to the infusion if he would just run Ben to his friends to play for the day. At the clinic, the nurse said my blood pressure was very low and my pulse was very high which meant I was very dehydrated. The nurses and doctor were being very sympathetic, which made me emotional. Every time one would ask how I was doing, I'd tear up. The fluids they pumped into me made me feel better immediately, including taking away the nausea. My oncologist is still trying to figure out a way for it to be better, and getting fluids a day or so earlier might be her plan. My white blood cell count was also low, so I had a booster shot for that. My one hour infusion took me three and a half hours this time. I was thankful I had a good book. I also shared a room with another lady getting chemo and her friend. From their conversation, I gathered they were both teachers. They had an easy camaraderie about them, and a couple of times I caught myself chuckling at their comments.  They didn't seem to mind my eves dropping. We had introduced ourselves at one point, and one of them said they heard I had food aversions, so if either one of them was talking about anything that would cause me discomfort, to let them know. I was touched by their thoughtfulness. It's not easy sharing close quarters with strangers, but they made the time go a bit quicker.

It's amazing how far a simple gesture or comment can go to lift someone's spirit. On Monday Walt and I were in a garden center when a lady gently touched my shoulder, and whispered, "I used to have a hairstyle like yours. When it grew back, it was curly and healthy." I looked into her twinkling eyes, and then saw her beautiful silver hair, thick and shiny.  It was a sweet encouragement that she took the time to connect with me.

Yesterday when my friend Krista came by to walk Sugar and clean out some food I couldn't bear to have around, she mentioned to her daughters that if they were to come with her, they couldn't make a mess. Her youngest answered, "I'd do anything to help out Mrs. Isler."

The sweet touch of a well spoken word. Now, I get to receive all this kindness. Maybe someday, I'll be able to share what I've learned with someone else. Until then, the journey continues....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a blessing Linda to see the way you always LOOK for the positive in a situation. That is not easy to do and you are blessing us along the way in this journey. Our prayers continue for you each day! You are a blessing and you are already sharing along your way...but I know what you mean. :-) Tina Miller

Linda said...

Tina, I've often thought of your mom's card to me and her words, "For this, I have Jesus!" They are the perfect words written to me and remembered to help me through the muck of all this. Thank you for your encouraging words, Tina.