Friday, December 28, 2012

December 28th musings

It's December 28th, the year rapidly coming to an end . When I sat at this point last year in 2011, I had no inkling to the events that would transpire in this year. All I knew was the assurance that God was my refuge and strength... I don't remember exactly what I felt on this day last year, but in a journal entry on Christmas morning, 2011, I praised God for coming to earth, so that I could see glimpses of His glory. "You became poor," I wrote, "so I could become rich." Not rich in monetary things, of course, but rich in love, blessings, family, hope.

Now a year later, I have seen more of God's glory, experience more of God's love, journeyed a difficult road, felt terrified, sick, tired, but never hopeless. I knew God was right there alongside me, every single step of the way. I have seen more of His glory.

Psalm 46:1-3
God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
    and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
    and the mountains quake with their surging. 

Last year, I had no idea what 2012 had in store for me. Had I known, even a glimpse of it, I would have been paralyzed with fear. Yet, God walked me through each day, each moment, and gave me refuge and strength for each day. 

As I sit on the brink of another year, I have no idea what things are in store for me, for my family, my friends. I know we'll go through difficult times--what year is without that? I know we'll laugh and joke and live life. I know there will be tears and fears and pain. I also know, without a shadow of doubt, that God will provide our strength, our refuge, our ever-present help in trouble. And no matter what happens, we will see a bit more of His glory, a glimpse of heaven, and remember that this is not our home.

Before I end, I'll give a quick update on my health. I'm thankful that I've successfully navigated my first cold. I have a bit of stuffiness left, but nothing that a few days, some healthy food, exercise and rest will clear up. As I sniffled away the last couple of days, I was again reminded how God protected me from illness during my weakest moments, the times when an infection could have grown out of control. I am encouraged how well my body responded to this cold. I never thought of a cold as good before, but this one was. It's a sign that I'm actually getting better!

No comments: