Saturday, June 15, 2013

What a Difference a Year Makes

Last year, on June 14th, I had my first chemo. Yesterday, instead of sitting in a chemo chair, I sat in a salon chair to have my hair colored and "styled." My hair is still too short for my liking, and my chemo curls are unwieldy, but, at least it's looking closer to normal hair.  Here I am...




I've been out a couple of times without my hat. After wearing hats for almost a year, it feels strange to have my head uncovered. At the same time, it is freeing as I now feel the breeze blow through my hair. It's definitely cooler. I'm not getting rid of my hats because they are fun to wear, and until my hair grows a bit more, still easier for those days when the curls just won't settle down.

A year ago today, Walt drove me into the cancer clinic for a white-blood booster shot. Today, Walt and I enjoyed a walk through our neighborhoods. A year ago, I still had a bit of energy because of the steroids I needed, but I was starting to feel nauseous. Today, even though I hate cleaning and am trying to work up the energy to finish the final prep before our family arrives, I realize I have it good. In my book, any day without chemo and its side effects is a good day. I still got frustrated when the kids ate chips on the bonus room couch after I just vacuumed it, or left wet towels on the floor of the bathroom. But, when I remember how far I've come in this year and think about what is important, I can't help but feel blessed. Richly, unbelievably blessed. My house will never be as clean as I'd like it to be (I'm incapable of performing at that level), but together with my family, we'll pitch in and do the best we can. Then our family will arrive, and the house won't matter. Yes, it's a really good day!

No comments: