Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Golf & Tennis Weekend

On Saturday, Walt and I joined our friend Rich and Wendy golfing. It had been almost two years since I last golfed, and it wasn't something I was particularly good at. Golf was something I could do with Walt and friends. We go out with friends at least every year around Walt's birthday for 18 holes and dinner.When I got my port put in last year and I couldn't golf, all of sudden golf became elevated in my mind as something I really wanted to do. I thought about it often. Maybe I would even get good by just thinking about it. I wish I could say that, but it wouldn't be true. Instead, my day was full of shanks and slices, bad shots off the green, poor putts... BUT it was fun! Actually, it felt amazing. Healthy. Normal. I told Wendy that had I only focused practicing my short game during the months when I couldn't take a full golf swing, I'd have been pretty good by now. Instead, I'm the same mediocre golfer that I was before...but that's fine with me.

On Sunday, Walt and I were lazing around, enjoying the down time with the kids busy with friends, when I became inspired to try out tennis. We talked the boys and their friends into going up to the high school with us, to get them off the computer and out in the beautiful sunshine. I think it had been even longer since I played tennis, but that came back pretty quickly. My shots were pretty inconsistent and Walt smoked me, but it was such a blast playing again. I felt athletic, even though I tired quickly. I felt strong, even though my returns didn't have the pop I'd hope for. I felt a little more like my old self. When we got home, I jumped on Becca's bike for a quick trip around the neighborhood. I hadn't been on a bike since chemo knocked off my balance, so being on that bike was a milestone of sorts, too.

 On Monday, I took the boys out to play tennis again. Ben got frustrated quickly. He likes to hit the ball hard and overshot the court most of the time. Nathan, who had played a bit last year, caught on really quickly. We made the mistake of playing on our neighborhood court and lost too many balls because of the short fence. When Becca called to see if I could take her and her friends shopping, we decided we had enough of tennis in the hot sun. While we were out shopping, I picked up a bunch of tennis balls for my next outing. So much to do! So many fun adventures to have! Bring on summer!  

No comments: