Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy Independance Day

Walt, the boys, and I went up to Glacier Peak this morning for a workout. Nathan is working on his personal fitness merit badge for Boy Scouts, which is also a good excuse for all of us to develop our own personal fitness. I can out-walk my boys, but they can outrun me (at least for now)! We warmed up with a light jog, did some pushups, sit ups, planks and dips. Then we ran a mile. I mostly walked it, Ben mostly ran it, Nathan ran the whole way--even though he's recovering from a bee sting on his foot--and Walt smoked us all. It was a fun way to start our 4th of July celebration. Then Walt took the kids to buy fireworks while I worked in the yard.

As I was pulling weeds, I thought back to last 4th of July. I was on steroids in preparation for chemo the next day. It would be my second round, and my taste for food had recovered. I remember being at our friends' house eating salads and salsa and fresh fruit, and enjoying every bite of it. I knew that starting tomorrow, I wouldn't feel like eating for a while. What a difference a year makes! I love that I do not have to go in for chemo tomorrow! However, I know that for some people, chemo marks their July 5th. My heart breaks for them. As I pulled weeds this morning, I prayed for them, whoever they are. I prayed that I would never have to go through it again, but know that I will follow God's plan, whatever that may be. In a book I'm reading, Anything by Jennie Allen, she quotes a girl named Rachel, who said, "You have to thank God for the seemingly good and the seemingly bad because really, you don't know the difference."

I know that the hardest things in my life brought me closer to God. Last summer I developed new friendships and deepened existing ones as they traveled alongside me on this journey. Going through the side effects of chemo allows me the ability to appreciate feeling good, being active, tasting foods. The hardest thing I've ever done in my life has defined the most beautiful things around me. And, it has given me more of God. That's why, no matter what happens, I know I can say, "I trust God."

Talk about freedom on Independence Day!

No comments: