Monday, September 30, 2013

Battling Colds But So Thankful

As I sat in the study hall at our Monday co-op today, I realized one year ago today I couldn't be here. I was at the hospital on the Monday following my last treatment, getting fluids to try to ward off some of the nausea. Walt took the kids to their classes and my neighbor took me to the cancer center. Back then, we survived because of so many people who stepped into the gap for us. All my muscles were sore, my potassium was so low my oncologist prescribed a supplement. I tried to eat foods high in iron because I was anemic. My doctor told me I needed time for my red blood cells to bounce back. I missed all the soccer games that weekend.

 This was a picture I shot last fall, never in public without my hat  


This was my hair about a month out of chemo...
...but I usually looked more like this (with two of my favorite people!)

This is what I look like tonight, tired, a bit sick, but with  a full head of crazy, curly hair

This weekend I sat through the rain and the cold and enjoyed every second of my boys' games. I love being able to see them play, even though it didn't help my cold any. I enjoy taking my kids to classes, helping them with their school, being involved in their lives. Today, we finished a book we had been reading together, A Ravenmaster's Secret. We loved it! I cried so hard I could barely read. There was a point in the book where everything looked dire, their best plan was foiled. At the end, all the things that looked terrible actually were needed for the ending to work out the way it did. I mentioned to the kids that when we are in the middle of our stories, we might not be able to see what God is doing with the circumstances in our life, but we can trust God who knows how it all will work out. I love how great books open up great discussions.

 After finishing this book, Ben and I continued to read together and finished Kensuke's Kingdom. Another amazing book!! Ben loved it. Throughout the day, he told me that he couldn't stop thinking about the book. I love that he might have found that special book which unlocked the joy of reading for him.

 We have been fighting colds (all except Ben, that is), so we took some extra time to be at home today. Becca stayed home from her class today, and Nathan was still so stuffed up, he didn't think it would be worth it to go to band. That meant only one trip to our co-op today, and I was thankful for the afternoon at home. I managed a short walk (couldn't skip again since I missed yesterday) and then made a huge pot of lentil soup. The kids didn't care for the soup, but I enjoyed it. They liked the cheesy garlic bread I made to go with the soup, and lots of fruit and broccoli. Walt had a meeting, so he wasn't home. I'm not sure he likes lentil soup, either. I'll freeze several containers to warm up when I'm in the mood for the savory soup again. It's so much better than anything I can get from a can.

Becca spent most of the day in her room, trying to stay on top of school as best as she could, while getting rest. After dinner, we went through an Algebra II lesson and she went back up to bed. I still have dishes to finish, but I wanted to make sure I finished this while it was still current in my mind. Even with a cold, I feel thankful for my health today. As the great hymn says, God's mercies are new every morning. Great is Your faithfulness, O Lord, our Father. When I look at how far I've come in the past year, I am grateful for the hand of God who led me every step of the way.

No comments: