Sunday, September 8, 2013

Just a Normal Fall Weekend

I know it's not technically fall yet, but once school starts, no matter what the official calendar says, it's fall in my book. The lazy days of summer have been replaced with busy days full of school books, co-ops, soccer and lots of activities.

Yesterday, I enjoyed watching Nathan's soccer game. He's on a new team this year, and it should be a fun season. Ben's game got over before we could make it there, but there will be more games I'll be able to see this fall. So much fun! When I got home, I made sure I took time to do little chores around the house, just to stay on top of the clutter that comes out when school starts.

In some ways, it feels like we didn't have a summer, how quickly we jumped back into the school routine. We had a great summer, even though it flew by. I didn't accomplish as much as I would have liked during the summer months, but I expected that. I told myself it was okay to kick back and read books, that going to the beach or walking with friends was more important than cleaning my closet, that, even though I know I will wish I had completed more projects this summer, I will be glad that I soaked up the sun and felt the breeze through my new-grown hair, listened to the birds and my kids chatter, and simply enjoyed life. Enjoyed being healthy, going to very few doctors appointments, not feeling sick.

So, almost seamlessly, we flipped into our busy fall schedules. The kids, resistant to hitting the books at first, adapted quite nicely to the challenges of their new courses. This week we'll start our co-ops, too. Often this week, I remembered how difficult this time of year was for us last year. I would have just had my 5th chemo treatment, one more to go. On Monday, Walt would take the kids to their first day of Connections classes because it would be one of my hard days. I had very little energy to plan or help the kids when they struggled with a subject. Maybe that's why things feel easier this year. I'm sure it's also because we are all stronger because of what we went through last year.

After finishing my chores around the house yesterday, I played tennis with Walt. Becca called during our second set to say she was finished at the barn where she works most Saturdays. We then found some salmon in the freezer and roasted it in the oven. We added some potatoes, lots of veggies and fruit and had a great dinner. Today, we watched the Seahawks beat the Panthers, went for a walk, and relaxed. I think I am ready for the week ahead. I know, that even if I don't feel up to it, I can rely on God who offers grace enough.

I am blessed to be able to spend another year with my kids, to be active and involved. I am thankful for no signs of cancer in my body. While I regret that summer is over, I look with anticipation on what God has planned for this new school year. So many things to be joyful about. On this normal fall weekend, I am grateful.

No comments: