Thursday, October 23, 2014

Anastrozole

I've had this prescription for over a week. Filled it a few days ago. Plan on taking my first dose tonight. Anastrozole is the generic version of Arimidex, which is my new hormone therapy prescription. Even though the list of potential side effects seems extensive, it is actually fewer than the ones for Tamoxifen. I remember feeling a bit of anxiety before taking Tamoxifen for the first time. God's grace allowed my body to tolerate it with little negative effects. The slight chance of a new cancer or a deadly blood clot inspires me to try the new brand of anti-estrogen pills that I am now qualified to take. While the serious side effects are gone, quality of life side effects are possible. Some women have no problems at all, but others have terrible stiffness, aches and pains,  or various other "minor" effects. I hope I'll be able to tolerate this medicine well, since it gives me a boost of a few percentage points against recurrence, If this particular medicine is not tolerated, I have two others in this category to try. If not, I'll go back to Tamoxifen, and know that this is God's will. So, tonight, day one of about 3 more years? (By the time I've reached my 5 year mark, studies may indicate benefits of more years of popping pills, so I hold any timelines loosely.)

When I told Walt about this medication, he said he wished I didn't have to take it. I misread his heart and thought he needed convincing of the benefits. Instead, he just was responding empathetically to having to take a drug that causes my body to age prematurely. When I realized he wasn't questioning the wisdom of taking it, mostly still grieving the effects of cancer in my life, I understood his words. He wasn't saying, don't take it, but I'm sorry you have to endure this. I try not to go down the road of  "wish I didn't have to" or "if only..." I put energy into staying in the present, appreciating that right now, all the treatment has worked at keeping this terrible beast at bay. As much as I don't like the potential effects of taking any medication, I am thankful that I have this tool to use. So, as my computer runs out of battery, I take this cue to end this post and go take my pill. Praying for the best.

No comments: