Sunday, October 26, 2014

Day 3 of New Meds

Thursday night I took the new anti-estrogen pill. I woke  up Friday feeling a bit achy, almost like I was coming down with the flu. I went for a walk, trying to work out the slight achiness in my back. Exercise helped my back, but the slight nausea remained. Since it wasn't a school day, I decided to spend some down time reading a novel. By the afternoon, I decided that too much laying around wasn't helping, so I started on a project for our bedroom. We have lots of mismatched picture frames, so I decided to paint them all white and work on organizing a wall collage. While they were drying, Becca and I went shopping. Being out helped take my mind off of how I was feeling, but I grew tired quickly. Friday night I went to bed early.

Saturday, I woke up feeling better. The achiness was there in my back, but I tried taking a Claritin and it seems to help. When I was getting shots during chemo to boost my white blood count, I found Claritin helped with the bone pain. I read on breastcancer.org that sometimes Claritin helps with the bone pain of the anti-hormonals. I am hopeful that the problems I'm having are temporary, as my body adjusts to the new medicine. Sometimes symptoms can increase over time, so I'm still figuring this all out. I want to give this a good shot, hoping that I don't have to make the hard choice of deciding between whether the way I feel is tolerable and worth the extra percentage points against recurrence...or if I should switch to something else. 

After putting on a second coat of paint on the frames and doing a bit of cleaning, we left to watch Nathan's soccer game. 
It was rainy and cold. It looks like fall has settled into our area at last. I huddled under an umbrella, a bit achy, but thankful that I could watch this game. Nathan played very well and his team won. I remembered the days during the fall of 2012 when I was too sick after chemo to make it out to soccer games. My bit of nausea was a piece of cake compared to that. 
I'm hopeful that my symptoms are improving. Today, Sunday, I felt less nausea and only occasional sharp pains in my back. I planned to go to Becca's soccer game this afternoon, but the game was cancelled. You probably all heard of the school shooting in Marysville, and Becca's team was playing against girls from that school. While at first they wanted to play to get their minds off of the terrible circumstances, they changed their minds when a memorial service was being arranged at the same time as the game. So instead of watching Becca's game, I went for a long walk which helped eliminate any lingering feelings of sickness. 
My plan for now is to make sure I get my exercise in to help with the muscle soreness (as well as numerous other health benefits that exercise offers), try to eat well, and monitor the effects for a few weeks. Hopefully, I won't have much to say as my body adjusts. If not, I know that God has another plan in this.

No comments: