Saturday, September 22, 2012

Saturday

It's 8 a.m. on Saturday. I'm looking forward to watching Ben play soccer later this morning, Nathan is at a boy scout camping weekend, and Becca is heading to the barn to work with her beloved horses today. It's a normal Saturday, and I have grown to appreciate normal this year. For the most part, I feel well. My muscles have not fully recovered from this round of chemo, so my daily walks are a bit harder to accomplish. I've noticed a slight discoloration on my nails, and I'm hoping that one more round of chemo is not going to turn them black (one of the potential side effects). For now, I paint them with tree tea oil and hope.

As eager as I am to get through this final chemo round, I really don't want to do it. Last time my side effects were more pronounced, seemed to last longer. Since my body has endured five rounds of attacks, it's not as strong as before, despite my attempts at walking to build up endurance. In a nutshell, I'm tired. I know what to expect and it's not going to be fun.

This morning I reached for Jesus Calling devotional before getting out of bed. The words hit me upside the head, reminding me on where my focus needs to be. I have to share part of it:

TRUST ME AND REFUSE TO WORRY, for I am your Strength and Song. You are feeling wobbly this morning, looking at difficult times looming ahead, measuring them against your own strength. However, they are not today's tasks--or even tomorrow's. So leave them in the future and come home to the present, where you will find Me waiting for you. Since I am your Strength, I can empower you to handle each task as it comes.  Because I am your Song, I can give you Joy as you work alongside Me.

Thank you, Sara Young, for reminding me (again!) to live today, to focus on today and not worry about what's coming. I will keep my hope and trust on  God today. As I started my post, today has plenty of blessings to fill me with joy. I only rob today when my mind goes to next Thursday. Despite the clouds blocking the sun, or maybe because of them, I will go out and enjoy this beautiful fall day because, today is the day the Lord has made!

No comments: