Thursday, June 14, 2012

Chemo #1

Romans 12:12  Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

This was on the wall of the room where I sat for six hours having my first chemo treatment. Isn't it beautiful? I kept thinking of all the verses I knew on hope as medicine went into my port. Walt and I shared devotions from our books driving to the hospital and as the premeds were started. His scripture was from Psalm 139:7-10


 Where can I go from your Spirit?
    Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
    if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
    if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me, 
    your right hand will hold me fast.


Jesus kept his promise and was with me all day long. I felt no fear or anxiety at any time. When the nurse took my blood pressure, she was amazed at how low it was. I told her many people were praying for me! 

Unlike big rooms you might see in movies or at other hospitals, Evergreen has small cubicles and treatment rooms when each person sits apart from others. Maybe because it was my first time, we had this nice cozy room at the end of the hall. My oncologist came in and chatted after my blood draws. She complemented me on my hair. She has very short hair and I told her she inspired me to do it. So she asked me if I got it cut at Super Cuts where she gets hers done. I shared a little of my story of how I got my hair cut. She answered questions I had on what I can and can't eat (no salad bars or uncooked food at restaurants), if I eat fresh fruit (raspberries, strawberries, etc.) at home, I'll need to ensure I eat them in a day or two before mold has a chance to start, no blue cheese... Kind of similar to how I was expected to eat when I was pregnant. She explained the warning signs I need to call at any hour if fever or other symptoms occur, and she explained catching things early is important. Then, like a race starter, she gave the signal to begin and made her leave. Each time I spend with her, I like her better.


Walt stayed the whole time. I loved his company, and it was nice to have another pair of eyes to check on reactions. When I was given Taxotere, I put my toes and feet in ice with the hopes of keeping them from turning black or falling out. This is an untested treatment, something they are just trying to see if it works. While my hands were busy and freezing, Walt read the first two chapters of Great Expectations by Charles Dickens to me. Neither one of us have read this classic, so we are trying it out. I loved hearing him read the descriptions of the characters. After he was tired of reading, I just closed my eyes and listened to praise music. 

Part of the reason this appointment went so long was the nurses took care to explain each drug and side effects to watch out for. Since they also bounced around to other patients, sometimes my bag would be dry and we had to wait for a nurse to administer the next drug. My mouth was really dry, so I drank a lot of water (which is good to move the toxins from my kidneys), but it caused me to go to the bathroom often. I got to walk down the hall with my new dance partner, the IVs hooked up on a post on wheels. Also, hercepton was given very slowly to monitor for responses. The next time I have just hercepton, it will be a bit faster since I had no symptons at all on it (praise God!). 


God was with us all day long. I had no immediate side effects, except for a decrease in taste when the Carboplatom was administered. I was sucking on a lemon drop because I heard a metal taste accompanies this drug. Suddenly, I couldn't taste the drop at all. Later, I put in a cinnamon mint, and since it was very strong, I could taste that. The pharmacist popped in to say hi at this time, and he was fascinated by my lack of taste. He's always collecting data on what happens to people as it varies so much from person to person. I have some taste right now, but it is minimal.

On the way home, we had to take back roads to avoid traffic backup, and the curves and hills made me feel a little nauseous. When we drove up to our house, I spotted flowers on our porch. Two friends left bouquets of flowers (yellow roses and peonies) that made me cry. Another friend left a fun book on motherhood and a sweet card. What a wonderful welcome home!


I ate some leftover chicken soup, and took my steroid. I was supposed to take 2 pills each time, but yesterday I only took 1 pill at a time. I think that mistake helped me sleep last night, though, and my oncologist said it wasn't a problem because they would just add more to the IV today. Then Walt and I took Sugar for a walk in the woods. I went down one big hill, but didn't want to go very far to make sure I could get back up the hill. I actually felt good with the exertion, the fresh hair and the company. Once I got back home and did a few small jobs, the nausea returned. I took one of my anti-nausea drugs which is working but making me very tired. So, I'm sure I'm rambling a bit on this post since my brain is not fully engaged. I better end here. Thanks again for being wonderful prayer warriors and supporters as I run this race.

No comments: