Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Thankful For Family

Even though I've blogged about my immediate family members, I couldn't let this month pass without a shout out to the rest of my large, extended family. I remember back in high school, one of my sisters was going through a faze of only wanting to be with her friends. My dad told her that friends will come and go, but your family will always be there. As we grew up, my brother and sisters and I have gone our separate ways, yet whenever we've had a chance to get together, we always have a blast. During this journey, we've been closer than ever before. Cards. Gifts. Phone calls. Emails. My sister Cindy and niece Nicole, who live the closest, have come numerous times to clean, cook, walk and hang out. Unexpectedly, my siblings and Dad gave me a gift of money to help pay for gas or whatever would help during radiation. So very thoughtful and generous.

I married into a wonderful family as well. My husband's sister would like nothing better than to be here for us during this time, but logistics prevents this at this time. She has made up for her lack of closeness with cards and calls and especially prayers. My mother-in-law flew in, and I don't think she rested once during her time here. Walt's Aunt Yolanda from El Salvador, a breast cancer survivor herself, came here to encourage me early in my treatment as well.

As hard as this journey has been, it's also brought with it the blessing of reconnecting with extended family through cards, emails and Facebook.  My cousin Debbie has sent care packages to encourage me. Another cousin, Luci, has offered to knit me some hats for this winter. Because I'm really tired now, I think I'm forgetting other things I wanted to say, but I know one thing for sure: I have a wonderful family! I am blessed!

I found this quote and it sums it up beautifully:

Being a family means you are part of something
 very wonderful. 
It means that you will love
 and be loved the rest of your life. 
No matter what. 



No comments: