Saturday, November 3, 2012

Thankfulness #3: My Daughter


 Becca in her Halloween Costume
Riding Summer, where she wishes she could spend all her time

In so may ways, Becca has made me the mom I am today. Moments after she was born, the doctor laid her on my chest, and she immediately captured my heart. She looked up at me with this furrowed brow, as if she questioned whether I knew what I was doing. Well, she was right. I didn't know the first thing about being a mom, and because we are so different in  many ways, I have grown in ways that wouldn't have been possible without her. I've learned to enjoy horses, because she loves them so. (I still prefer watching her ride rather ride myself.) I have needed to know what I believe because she is quick to challenge what I took for granted. Surprisingly enough, she has changed me from someone who would never be caught dead going to the mall on Black Friday to someone who is looking forward to this annual tradition that we share.  I have seen God bless her with a beauty that is both inside and out, and I love watching her grow in grace. When young moms find out I have a 14 year old daughter, they expect me to tell them how hard this age is. I surprise many by saying how much I enjoy this age and what a great kid she is. We had our challenges when she was younger, and because we worked through them then, I delight in the relationship we now have. I will be forever grateful that God allows me to be Becca's mom.. 

Now, here's a quick health update on me. This morning I went on a challenging walk and felt strong and able to keep a good pace throughout. I think my red blood cells are recovering or the supplements I'm taking to take away muscle pain are working. Either way, I'm so excited about how good I felt after this walk today. .

I have noticed my neurapathy has gotten a lot better. I still have a little numbness at the tips of some of my fingers, but it is hardly noticeable. I think my hair is growing, even though it's minuscule   For the first time since it was shaved in June, I have to remember to towel off my head after showers now, since there's enough hair to at least absorb some moisture now. 

I also drank coffee this morning! It tasted very good. Walt and I sat in the living room chatting while I sipped on coffee. I really missed this. I enjoy drinking tea, but it's just not the same as coffee. Only a coffee lover would understand.

The side effects from radiation are pretty minimal so far. I'm glad I have a couple days of no treatment to recover even more. I have a bit of soreness around the chest, but since my muscles in my legs and arms are feeling so much better, this new pain is hardly noticeable.

Now it's time for bed. We get an extra hour of sleep tomorrow, and I plan to enjoy every minute of it!


No comments: